[Ilovemyshape.com] Exfoliating is becoming an indispensable step in the modern skincare routine. It helps us to clear all the dead skin cells together with dirt and clogged pores, which help prevent acne and ingrown hairs. Besides, the rubbing motions also stimulate the circulation and increase blood flow. This will help the skin cells to regenerate quicker and look healthier and more attractive. You can easily buy some scrubs in the store, or you can save your money and invest a little bit of hand work to make your own homemade exfoliators.
- Homemade body scrub – The secret of healthy looking skin
- Acne On Back: Causes And Cures
- Top 16 Alcohol-Free Toners Under $10
5 Easy Homemade Exfoliators For Face And Body
As a skincare product, oatmeal is great to use on all types of skin. It is full of nutrients and very gentle on the skin. Using oatmeal will give you a smoother and better-looking skin, because it not only clear dead skin cells, but also soothe dryness, lightly hydrate the skin, reduce irritation and inflammation, and absorb the unwanted excess oil.
Making homemade exfoliators out of oatmeal is super easy. All you need is plain organic oatmeal. Depending on how much you need as you use this on your face or your body, take some oatmeal and mix it with warm water to make it soft and saturated. You can take the draining water from the oatmeal mixture to apply on your skin first to soften it. Then pat the paste on your face/body and gently massage in circular motions. Rinse off with water. You can repeat this 1-2 times a week.
In additional, you can add raw honey to the oatmeal paste to help your skin even more.
- Baking soda
Baking soda is one super easy and affordable exfoliator. It clears your skin, unclogs the pores and helps balance the skin’s pH level.
- Depending on how much you need for your face or body, take 1 tablespoon or more of baking soda, and add a little bit of water. Stir well to form a thick paste.
- Gently rub the paste into the skin in circular motion.
- Rinse off with water.
- Baking soda is really helpful when you want to get rid of blackheads or stubborn rough skin in the elbow, knee and heel.
- Honey lemon sugar scrub
Sugar is widely used in many homemade exfoliators, and it is really cheap. Adding lemon with help get rid of the dead skin easier together with cleaning the pores, treating dark spots and tightening enlarge pores. Honey is a great moisturizer, and it also helps acne.
To make your this scrub, you will need:
- 1 cup of raw organic sugar (using brown sugar is better than using the refined one)
- ¼ cup of olive oil. You can replace this with coconut oil, almond, grapeseed and some other carrier oil.
- 2 tablespoons of raw organic honey
- 15 drops of each lemon essential oil and lavender essential oil.
- 2 tablespoon of dried rosemary.
- The dried rosemary and essential oils are optional. They are meant to give your skin a deeper treatment than just simple exfoliation.
Stir the mixture well and store it in a dry clean container with seal lid, and use during bath for once or twice a week. This can last for 3 months if you keep it in clean.
- Coffee ground exfoliator
Coffee stimulates your brain and makes you feel awake during a whole hard-working day. The same thing will happen to your skin when you use it as a scrub. The caffeine on the skin promotes blood flow and circulation, which helps regenerate skin cells. It also reduces the appearance of cellulite, bloating and sagging skin. You can easily turn some coffee grounds to various homemade exfoliators with some extra ingredients in your cupboard.
- Take 1 cup of coffee grounds, 6 tablespoons of melted coconut oil, and 3 tablespoons of sea salt or brown sugar. Mix it all together.
- Store the mixture in a clean jar and seal it for later using.
- In the shower, take a reasonable amount and slowly rub it into your skin.
- To turn this to a facial scrub, use granulated sugar instead of coarse one.
- DIY lip exfoliator
In order to keep your lip pink and soft, you will probably need some lip scrub the get rid of all the dead flaky skin. You can easily make one with the things you can find in your own kitchen.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of sugar with a tiny bit of honey. You only need a small amount of honey since it is here only to make the sugar stick together. You can replace it with some olive oil, almond oil or coconut oil.
- Store the mixture in a clean jar, and keep it in a dry place.
- Once or twice (maximum) a week, take a bit of the scrub and rub it into your lips to loosen the dead skin. Then let it sit for 1 minute and wipe off with a damp cloth. You might want to apply some lip balm after this.
Read more: 5 remedies to get rid of dark lips at home
The Bottom Line
It is really easy to make homemade exfoliators to use from head to toe. Above are some easiest scrub recipes that you may try. The most basic components are sugar, salt, baking soda, and coffee grounds. You can play with other ingredients such as carrier oil, essential oils, extracts or dried flower to create your own scrub that works best on your skin. Remember to test out everything before using it to avoid any unwanted allergy. Hope you find this writing helpful and wish that your skin will be glowing beautifully soon.