In the modern society, having white teeth is considered as a standard. Nobody wants yellow teeth since it is a sign that you might not take care of yourself regularly or a sign of sickness. As you meet people, you all want to make a good impression, and a yellow smile definitely lowers your confidence and affects your image. Your teeth will naturally get darker and more yellow with age. Besides, the eating and drinking habits surely change the color of your teeth enamel. However, there are many ways to achieve brighter looking teeth that can shine your way across the crowd as you smile whenever you go out. You can go to the dentist and ask for some special treatment, or you can try to whiten teeth naturally at home, which is really easy and not expensive at all.
Read more: Make homemade sunscreen for your baby
How To Whiten Teeth Naturally: 8 Tips & Tricks
- Use A Drinking Straw
This will not directly whiten your teeth, but it helps prevent further staining on the teeth. Drinks like coffee, tea or other colored drinks can really stain your teeth, and some other drinks can harm your enamel if you take them regularly. Therefore, using a straw will prevent the liquid from direct exposure to the teeth, and in combination with other teeth whitening methods, this will help you achieve and maintain the results better.
- Floss Your Teeth
Flossing your teeth is as important as brushing them. It helps you get rid of all the left-over food or whatever is stuck between your teeth before they start to ferment and harm your enamel. This will lessen the stain in between your teeth and make them whiter.
- Eat Crunchy Fruits & Vegetables
Crunchy fruits and vegetables are not only good for your health but also positively contribute to your oral health. They act like a natural toothbrush and wipe out all the excess food and bacteria. The natural acids containing in them also help remove the stain on the surface.
The malic acid and vitamin C in strawberries can clear out the stain and break down the plaque on your teeth. This is a popular way to whiten teeth naturally that many people, including some celebrities, have tried.
- Mash 1-3 ripe strawberries in a small bowl. You can add a little bit of baking soda or sea salt to the mixture to enhance the bleaching effect.
- Brush your teeth thoroughly with the mashed strawberries and rinse off carefully with water
- Repeat this for once or twice a week
- In alternatively, you can simply eat strawberries regularly. Remember to chew it really well and give it time to do its job.
- Baking Soda & Lemon
Baking soda can balance the pH level in your mouth since it is normally an acidic environment due to your eating and drinking. It is also a mild abrasive that would help you clean the plaque on the teeth. Lemon/lime juice is acidic, and it will bleach the teeth together with washing the stain away. Combining with baking soda, the acidic level will be lower a bit, so it will not damage your enamel. This combination promises to whiten teeth naturally as so many people have tried and recommended it.
- Take some baking soda, and mix it with some fresh lemon/lime juice.
- Give the mixture a stir to form a thick paste. This will bubble naturally.
- Take a clean cloth and wipe the saliva and excess plaque on your teeth.
- Apply the paste on your teeth using a toothbrush, and then let it sit for 1 minute.
- Brush it off thoroughly with clean water.
- Repeat these steps once a week.
Cautions: Do not let the paste sit for too long or it will harm your enamel instead of helping it. If you notice any irritation, please stop using this immediately.
Read more: 10 effective ways to get rid of freckles fast and naturally
- Coconut Oil Pulling
It seems like the list of coconut oil’s benefits doesn’t stop with only skin and hair. This coconut oil pulling is an Indian method to enhance their oral health. It is one way to whiten teeth naturally because the oil washes away the bacteria around your teeth and mouth, prevents staining, promotes healthy gum, and keeps your breath fresh.
- Take about 1 tablespoon of organic coconut oil in your mouth.
- Swish it around your mouth, push and pull the oil in between your teeth.
- After 5-20 minutes, spit it out and rinse with water
- Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide can be used as a mouthwash to prevent the growth of bacteria, which helps prevent infections and bad breath. All you need to do is mix a solution from 1 part of food grade hydrogen peroxide and 1 part of clean water. Wash your mouth with this mixture, and swish it around for 1 minute before spitting it out.
- Activated Charcoal
Activated charcoal can pull the toxins from the mouth and remove stains. It is a highly absorbent substance, so it can help absorb the things that cause stain and also the stain’s constituents, which result in whiter teeth. However, this one can only remove the stain on the surface of the teeth, so coffee/tea drinker will have most benefits from it.
- Dip a wet clean toothbrush in activated charcoal powder and brush your teeth with it. You can take a charcoal capsule and pour the content in your toothbrush if it is easier.
- Gently brush your teeth in small circles for about 2 minutes. Let the charcoal get in between your teeth and brush it for the best effect.
- In alternatively, you can mix activated charcoal powder with water and use it as a mouthwash, swish it around your mouth, and allow it to work for about 1-2 minutes.
The Bottom Line
Whitening your teeth is really not that hard. All you need is some simple ingredients and patience. It is obviously that your teeth cannot be paper white after one night, which even professional care can hardly do, but it is going to improve slowly. Whiten teeth naturally is a safe and inexpensive way to bring back your confident smile and make you more beautiful then you’ve already been. Wish you luck and hope that you be satisfied with the results whatever method you choose.