[Ilovemyshape.com] Elusive, as making shaving cream may seem, putting together your own mixture of simple ingredients, can lead you to create your own, which is free of any preservatives, chemicals, dyes or strange perfumes added to shaving creams sold in shops lately. In fact, the traditional creams for shaving are quite toxic. Try this DIY shaving cream recipe and you will notice that they not only work better than the commercial ones but also leaves your skin soft with no chemicals.
DIY Shaving Cream With Chemical-Free Ingredients
1. Foaming Shave Soap Recipe
This is the shave soap I personally use most frequently in the shower because it works great. Again, it is inexpensive and easy to make at home. As a result of the high liquid Castille content, it may be harsh on the face of some men.
- Grapefruit seed extract or vitamin E (for preservation)
- 1/4 cup liquid castille soap
- 8 ounces foaming soap bottle (you can use a larger size)
- 1/4 cup warm distilled water (you can infuse it with lavender)
- 1 tablespoon almond or olive oil
- Lavender or any favourite essential oils for fragrance
- 1/4 cup natural aloe vera gel (not the juice bought from the store)
- Combine all the prepared ingredients in foamer bottle and lightly shake until mixed.
- Shake before using.
This recipe will last a couple of months. If you are planning to be in the sun’s rays, I wouldn’t recommend citrus oils since they increase the sensitivity of the sun on your body.
2. Shave Cream Recipe
This DIY shaving cream recipe makes an abundant, creamy lather and works really well. This is much better on the face of men since it is more gentle than the above recipe.
- Vitamin E for preservation (you can use content from at least 2 capsules of vitamin E)
- 1 tablespoon white cosmetic clay or kaolin clay
- 2-3 tablespoons cocoa or shea butter
- 1/4 cup olive, almond or coconut oil
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup honey or aloe vera gel
- 1/4 cup liquid castille soap
- Melt the oil and shea/cocoa butter in a double boiler. After it’s completely melted, remove from the heat and then add the other ingredients to it.
- Whisk or blend all the ingredients together well for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a container or jar to be used whenever you want to shave. While the mixture is cooling, you should check to make sure it doesn’t separate.
If it does, shake or mix well to mix them together again. This mixture can last up to about two months.
3. Natural Bar Shave Soap Recipe
If you don’t happen to have all these extra ingredients on hand, this is certainly an easy option to modify and make it more shave-friendly. It really is just a little time intensive, but these shaving soaps last a considerably long time and they are perfect for making shave mugs.
- 1 Bar of natural, homemade soap (Do not use the commercial or store-bought ones)
- 1-2 Tablespoons cosmetic clay, french clay, white clay, or kaolin
- 1 Tablespoon aloe vera gel, almond or olive oil
- You first have to grate the soap. Now, use low heat, melt the grated soap down together with aloe vera or oil.
- Try to stir often and be patient as this will take a while.
- Once it’s melted, stir in the cosmetic clay (this is not only ideal for the skin but also makes a richer lather). Pour this mixture into moulds such as old mugs or cardboard and allow it to set for a number of days until it becomes hard once again.
This can surely last for months and certainly will become more potent over time.
4. Shea Nut Oil Shaving Cream
Generously apply this DIY shaving cream to whichever area on your body you want to shave and when you are done, rinse it off with water. You can easily omit the baking soda and, if you like it odourless, you can also omit the essential oil. Store in a cool, dark area when you are not using it. This could last up to a month.
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 2/3 coconut oil
- 2/3 cup shea butter or shea nut oil
- 10-20 drops of any favourite essential oils/oil blend
- 2 capsules vitamin E (optional)
- 1/4 cup of grapeseed oil or olive oil
- Melt 2/3 cup of shea nut oil and coconut oil together, and then completely turn the heat off.
- Now, stir in 1/4 cup of grape seed oil or coconut oil. When it’s melted, add in 10-20 drops of lavender or any of your favourite essential oil.
- Next, leave it within the bowl – that is if you are using a double boiler – if not, simply pour the mixture into a container and stir it well.
- After that, place it in the fridge and allow to harden.
- Once it becomes solid, remove and let it become a little softer.
- Add the contents of 2 capsules of vitamin E if you’re using them, and 2 tablespoons of baking soda to an electric stand mixer (you could also use an electric hand beater)
- Beat all the ingredients together until it’s become fluffy, very light and looks like you could actually spread it on a cupcake.
The Bottom Line
Those expensive commercial shaving creams mostly run out in just a couple of days. Moreover, your skin may usually itch afterwards when you’ve used them to shave. Regardless of promises manufacturers give about the product, many still get razor burns after using them. By simply making your own homemade shaving cream, you can be satisfied with the fact that you’re reaping the many benefits of something completely free of chemicals which you have made yourself. If you like this post, take a second to share with your friends and loved ones. Don’t forget to also share your views in the comment section if you have any DIY shaving cream ideas. Browse I Love My Shape for more beauty tips.