[Ilovemyshape.com] One of the most embarrassing things you might face when going out is having body odor. Nobody wants to walk around smelling like rotten stuff or dirty clothes since it is not pleasant at all for both people around and that particular person. Unfortunately, there are many people out there struggling with this problem and don’t know how to really get rid of body odor. In this writing today, I Love MY Shape wants to sit down with you and talk in details about this sensitive concern.
- The best DIY body wash recipe ever for any skin types
- Sweaty palms cure: Antiperspirants or botox?
- 10 natural ways to get rid of stinky feet forvever
What Cause Body Odor?
The sweat, by itself, rarely has smell since it mainly consists of water. However, it has a little bit of oil and body waste, which can smell naturally. Depending on why you sweat, exercise or stress, the component of the sweat will change, and result in different smells. Moreover, what you decided to include in your diet also contribute to your sweat’s smell. Things like garlic, if taken in a large amount, can really turn you into a walking-raw-garlic.
Despite all of that, the main cause of body odor is bacteria. These little invisible creatures live in everywhere, and your body is not an exception. They multiply faster when there is food (our sweat), moisture (also the sweat), warmth (our natural body heat and environment) and a proper environment including sodium concentration or pH (our lovely sweat again!). The more bacteria are, the more waste they produce, and of course, the stronger the smell is. To get rid of body odor, you should really focus on controlling the number of bacteria on your body.
It’s Never Been That Easy: Effective Ways To Get Rid Of Body Odor
1. Improve Your Personal Hygiene
Bacteria live on your skin, and they love it when you don’t stay clean but sweating all over. Take a bath or a shower regularly can wash away the sweat and dirt on your skin, creating a less favorable environment for bacteria to grow. Besides, the water and the soap help wash out the bacteria, which lowers their number, reduces their waste, and make you smell better. Wearing clean clothes is also a must if you want to smell fresh. Wash your clothes/hat/socks regularly and take care of your shoes to make sure they are not smelly.
2. Stay Dry
As mentioned above, moisture is one factor that increases the growth of bacteria, so stay dry is definitely help you get rid of body odor. Pat yourself dry after the shower, and especially pay attention to the area of skin folds such as armpits, the groin or under the breast where sweat/water can easily get trapped and help the bacteria to multiply. Wearing comfortable clothes that can soak up the sweat or allow the sweat to easily dry out naturally is also recommended. Using antiperspirants is another convenient choice to keep the body dry and odorless.
3. Watch Your Diet
Improving your diet is one way to naturally get rid of body odor. A healthy diet is necessary to maintain good body function, which results to lighter body smell. The first to remember is to provide your body enough water. It is said that you should drink 8-10 cups of water a day, but in fact, you can adjust this due to your body need. You can switch to tea, fruit juice or other healthy drink to make it more appealing. Secondly, stop smoking and chewing tobacco. It is harmful to health plus making your breath stink. Thirdly, eat healthily. Adding more food with probiotics to your diet, eating more green vegetables and cutting down the portion of fatty food (fatty meat, fried food, etc) should be considered. Strong spices or smell food like curry, garlic, and onions can also make your body odor stronger, so try to not eat them too much. Some people’s sweat glands are even sensitive to the consumption of coffee, caffeine, alcohol, asparagus or red meat. If they eat these, their sweat will smell. You might want to investigate your body to know whether the odor comes from these, and omit those foods above from your diet.
4. Trying Some Antiperspirants
It is handy to have some antiperspirants or deodorants around since it is the fastest way to reduce body odor and boost your confidence. If you are hesitating about using chemicals or they don’t seem to work for you, there are many other natural antiperspirants to get rid of body odor.
5. Baking Soda
Baking soda helps absorb moisture from the skin, so the sweat will also be taken away, and the odor will be reduced. Besides, it works like a deodorant and kills bacteria.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, and apply that mixture to the body part that sweat and smell such as armpits.
- Leave it on for a couple of minutes.
- Wash off with water. Remember not to scrub it into your skin. A shower afterward will be nice.
- Repeat these steps once daily for a few weeks.
6. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has a strong smell that can help cover up the odor. Other than that, it is actually a great anti-bacteria that will help you out with this problem.
- Make a solution from 8-10 drop of tea tree essential oil with a cup of witch hazel water.
- Store the solution in a spray bottle and use it as a deodorant. Spray it on before and after you exercise to achieve the best result. The witch hazel is a natural astringent that will reduce sweat, and control smell.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar balances the skin pH level and helps fight back bacteria, which creates no space for them to survive.
- Take a cotton ball, soak it in apple vinegar cider and then rub into your underarms or wherever need to be treated.
- After 2-3 minutes, wash off with water or take a bath.
- Do this twice a day until you notice some changes.
- In another way, you can pour 1 cup of apple cider vinegar to your warm bath water in soak in there for 10 minutes. Do this once a day.
- To double the effect, you can make yourself a glass of warm water, 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and a little bit of honey. Drink this 3 times daily before meals.
Lemon juice is acidic, so it creates an unfavorable environment for bacteria and lowers their waste.
- Take a half of a fresh cut lemon, and rub it in the problem areas. Make sure that the lemon juice gets direct contact with your skin.
- Let it dry and then take a shower.
- Use this remedy once daily until the odor is gone.
- If your skin is too sensitive to use pure lemon juice. Mix it with half a cup of water and apply it using a cotton ball. After 10 minutes, rinse off with water.
Tomatoes contain some antiseptic that helps kill bacteria and get rid of body odor. Besides, they help shrink pores and control the sweat production.
- Crush 7 – 8 tomatoes. You might need less or more depending on how big the tomatoes are.
- Extract the juice from the crushed tomatoes using a sieve or whatever you find convenient.
- Add the juice to a bucket full of water and use that water to take a bath.
- Follow this order once daily to improve your smell.
Rosemary has natural deodorant properties, which can neutralize the odor and make your smell more pleasant by its own fragrance. Moreover, it inhibits the growth of bacteria and has zinc, which negatively contributes to body odor.
- Make a solution consists of 10 drops of rosemary essential oil and 1 ounce of pure water.
- Apply/spray this solution on the problem area.
- Alternatively, you can put ½ cup of dried rosemary leaves in 4 cups of hot water. Let it steep for 10 minutes, and then add that mixture to your bath water. Soak yourselves there and relax for 15-20 minutes to clean all the horrible smell. Use this once daily.
Read more: 8 Ways To Get Rid Of Dark Underarms Fast
The Bottom Line
As you can see, there are reasons for unpleasant body smell. Your work is to understand your body, and then spend some time to treat it with the right methods and watch out for any changes or improvements. There are many ways that can help you get rid of body odor, and there probably some that you haven’t tried yet, so don’t give up if you haven’t found your perfect one. Hope you find this helpful and wish your smell be like fragrance soon.