[Ilovemyshape.com] The Greek islands…the very name conjures images of turquoise seas lapping against sun-kissed white sands..islands glittering in the sun, of cool sea breezes and a nation of people who are above all laid back, friendly and who share a deep love of simple pleasures.
Nowhere in Greek life are these simple pleasure more obvious than in their love of food, Greek food is gloriously simple, fantastically healthy and bursting with colour and natural flavour, Greek meal times are a time to share with people you love and to celebrate together the simple act of being alive, food plays a big part of that, in a country that is blessed with a climate to produce some of the best fresh produce in the world, tomatoes are at the very top of the list.
Tomato salad recipes can often be overlooked, passed off as too simple, even boring, but with quality ingredients, and the right presentation, that couldn’t be more wrong…
This Greek-style tomato salad recipe has all the qualities you’d want, it’s healthy, bursting with flavours and the contrasting colours are a joy, it’s good, simple, beautiful food.
- • 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or dried oregano
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut into bite-size chunks
- 4 ripe tomatoes, the reddest most juicy you can find washed and simply chopped
- 1 green or red pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces feta cheese, cut into cubes (go for real Feta not “Greek style cheese”)
- 1/2 cup pitted Green or black olives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper as required
- Simply whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper to make the dressing this is best done an hour before serving to allow the oregano a little time to infuse.
- Just before service add the cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, onions, feta cheese and olives and toss gently to create a fantastic mix of colours.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread and butter.
GREEK STYLE TOMATO SALAD
Step 1: Simply whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper to make the dressing this is best done an hour before serving to allow the oregano a little time to infuse.
Step 2: Just before service add the cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, onions, feta cheese and olives and toss gently to create a fantastic mix of colours.
Step 3: Serve immediately with crusty bread and butter.
As most tomato salad recipes go, it’s really that simple, this salad will generously serve around 6 people, more than enough for a get-together with family or friends and the ideal accompaniment to any main meal.
Hope that you love this Greek-style tomato salad recipe.
- 5 Fresh Lettuce Salad Recipes To Enjoy In Summer
- Cool as cucumber salad Recipes
- 6 Healthy Snacks For Weight Loss
You might like watching: