[Ilovemyshape.com] It’s rather unfortunate that no one can stop the flow of time – in fact, many people would if they could just so they can stay young forever. The two most evident signs of ageing are the greying of hair and the ageing of the skin. The appearance of grey hair from the mid-40s is a normal thing. In fact, hair greying itself is a natural process.
However, and especially for women – mostly – when they find a strand of white or grey hair peeping from amidst the black ones as early as in their 20s or 30s, it turns into a nightmare. When the body stops producing the pigment melanin that is responsible for the dark colour of hair, it turns grey. This occurs due to lack of a well-balanced diet and nourishment – at least in most cases. in order to minimise side effects of grey hair treatments, it is best to treat problems of hair and skin such as damaged and dull hair, dandruff and premature greying with home remedies. The causes of hair greying are several. Here I Love My Shape has listed out a few grey hair causes and several natural treatments.
- Top 10 Home Remedies For Dry Hair
- 9 Essential Oils For Hair Growth That Work Wonders
- 4 Easy Homemade Shampoo Recipes for Dry and Oily Hair
- How to Use Green Tea for Hair Growth, Hair Loss and Dandruff
Grey Hair Causes And 5 Natural Treatments
Gray Hair Causes
A major reason for hair greying is Heredity. Excessive smoking and use of tobacco can also cause grey hair. Other causes include psychological worries and chronic emotional stress; when your diet lacks nutrients such as iron, vitamins, iodine and copper hypothyroidism. Anaemia, neurofibromatosis or tuberous sclerosis and other medical conditions can also cause greying of hair.
Loss of pigmentation melanin from the hair follicles is the main reason for hair greying, home remedies that have absolutely no side effects and are therefore good for you to use in treating this problem.
5 Natural Remedies For Gray Hair
1. Onion & Lemon Juice Pack
Onion has always been used to treat problems of thinning hair and hair loss. It helps to prevent hair from greying prematurely and is also one of the most effective remedies for grey hair. Research shows that the two chief reasons for premature hair greying are the deposition of hydrogen peroxide and antioxidant catalase deficiency in the hair roots. Onion juice restores the natural colour of the hair strands by boosting up the level of catalase. Lemon juice, on the other hand, prevents excessive oiliness and adds a healthy shine to hair.
- Lemon Juice – 2 teaspoons
- Onion Juice – 3 teaspoons
- Mix lemon juice and onion in a glass bowl and apply on hair and scalp evenly.
- Wash off with a mild herbal shampoo after leaving it on for 30 minutes.
- Do this 4 to 5 times a week for 2 weeks.
2. Lemon Juice & Almond Oil Massage
Almond oil acts as a natural remedy for treating wrinkles, age spots and fine lines due its rich source of antioxidant and vitamin E. Almond oil is extremely good for hair as well. Massaging hair and scalp with almond oil prevent premature greying of hair. It improves elasticity, nourishes the roots of the hair, and prevents split ends. It adds a healthy glow to hair and treats dandruff. Lemon supplies nourishment to the hair roots, and promotes hair growth due to its rich source of phosphorus, vitamins B, and C. It adds shine and volume to the hair strands.
- Lemon Juice – 3 tablespoons
- Almond Oil – 2 tablespoons
- In a big glass bowl, mix your lemon juice and almond oil; then apply this mixture thoroughly on hair and scalp.
- Now, wash off with a mild shampoo after allowing it to stay in your hair for 30 minutes.
3. Black Tea Massage
Continue reading to know more about grey hair causes and home remedies. The benefits of black tea for improving cardiovascular health and cancer prevention has been known for years. However, it also has great benefits for hair and skin. Packed with caffeine and antioxidants, black tea encourages the growth of hair and improves the elasticity and strength of the hair strands. This helps to prevent breakage or brittleness of the hair. It also adds a natural shine and a naturally dark colour to hair.
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Black Tea Powder – 2 tablespoons
- Boil 1 teaspoon of salt in water and 2 tablespoons of black tea for 2 minutes and remove it from the heat.
- Strain the liquid after. Let it cool.
- Rinse your hair with this liquid and allow it to dry.
- Remember not to use shampoo to rinse. For best results, do this 2 to 3 times every week.
4. Amla & Fenugreek Pack
Indian gooseberry or Amla has been used since ancient times in Ayurveda for treating all kinds of hair problems and is one of the best home remedies for grey hair. It helps in preventing the greying of hair prematurely. It has amazing anti-aging properties due to its rich source of antioxidant and vitamin C. It also improves the health of hair in general and encourages hair growth, too. Methi – also known as Fenugreek – is a kitchen spice which is common, but loaded with nutrients such as Iron, vitamin C, lysine, potassium, alkaloids and L-tryptophan that have amazing benefits for skin and hair. It prevents hair from greying prematurely, treats follicular problems to promote hair growth, prevents hair fall, dandruff as well as scalp dryness. Additionally, it can act as a natural remedy effective for pimples and acne.
- Fenugreek – 1 tablespoon
- Coconut Oil – ½ cup
- Dried Amla – 5 to 6 pieces
- Keep aside fenugreek seeds – you have to turn it into a smooth powder first.
- Add the amla pieces to it afterwards.
- Now, heat your oil and add the fenugreek powder to the oil.
- After letting it boil for 5 to 6 minutes, remove from the heat and strain the oil when it is cool.
- Next, apply on hair and scalp before you go to sleep.
- In the morning, use a mild herbal shampoo to rinse off the mixture.
Need to know more about grey hair causes and natural cures? Continue to read then.
5. Curry Leaves & Coconut Oil Massage
Curry leaves have amazing benefits for hair as well. It’s one of the most common herbs used to temper Indian curries as well as a very effective natural solution for grey hair. Curry leaves are packed with Vitamin B which restores the natural pigment functions in the follicles of the hair. It prevents further greying of hair by providing a shining black colour to the strands. It also heals damaged hair roots and supplies nutrients that are essential to the hair. Curry Leaves prevent hair fall and stimulate the growth of hair due its rich source of beta-carotene. There are numerous benefits of coconut oil for skin and hair as well. It is the best natural conditioner for rough, dry hair. Coconut oil is able to make hair lustrous, manageable, bouncy and smoothens the open hair cuticles.
- Coconut oil – 1 cup
- Curry leaves – Handful
- Boil the curry leaves in the oil till the leaves turn black or for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Let it cools for some time after you have removed it from the heat.
- Strain the oil into a container and before going to bed, massage your hair and scalp with this oil.
- In the morning, when you wake up, rinse off with a mild herbal shampoo. This should be done 3 to 4 times per week.
The Bottom Line
Pamper your hair with these nourishing home remedies and say goodbye to grey hair by making use of all natural ingredients. Follow I Love My Shape for more beauty tips and don’t forget to share your views about grey hair causes and natural treatments on the comment section of this page.